Home - Get Connected - Membership
At Kossuth, we believe church membership is important. The church is not a building; it is God’s people engaged in God’s work in God’s way for God’s glory. The church is the platform on which you exercise the gifts God has given you. Joining Kossuth Street Baptist Church is a process through which you have the opportunity to get to know us and us to know you. The Bible teaches the importance of being rightly related to a local church. Here are several principles found explicitly and implicitly in the New Testament.
- It is a privilege to be rightly related to other members of the family of God in a community relationship (1 Cor. 1:2). God has allowed his people to have a part of moving his agenda forward in the realm of his church.
- It is an example we see clearly lived out in the word of God (Acts 2:42-47). The church is a faith family.
- The guidelines of membership are found assumed in the pages of the New Testament letters (1 Thess. 1:1; 2 Thess. 1:1; Phil. 1:1; Col. 1:2, etc.). The church of Jesus Christ moves forward in an orderly fashion.
- It is the means Jesus Christ instituted for his people to be strengthened and encouraged in faith, hope and love (Heb. 10:25). The church of Jesus Christ is visible and triumphant!
- Jesus Christ loved his people enough to die for them (Acts 20:28). We desire to link arms to serve him together out of gratitude.
Becoming a member of Kossuth Street Baptist Church means that this local church becomes a priority in your life as you participate in its life and ministry. It also means that you enter into a covenant with the other members whereby you love, serve, and encourage them while they in turn do the same for you. In other words, joining the church is like joining a family: it shapes your identity as you grow in your relationship with others.
So, how can you become a member of the Kossuth family?
- Learn. Take some time to read our Constitution (especially the "Statement of Faith" and "Membership Covenant") and ensure that you can live and serve within its parameters.
- Attend. Come to a 'Welcome to Kossuth' class to get to know more about the vision and history of the church. (Check out the church calendar for the dates of the next 'Welcome to Kossuth' class; email the church office (email@example.com) to sign up for a class.)
- Apply. Complete the electronic membership application.
- Interview. Shortly after your application has been submitted, you will be contacted by a representative from the membership team to set up a membership interview.
- Join. The final step is to be presented before the church by the elders, at which time there will be a congregational vote of affirmation to receive you into membership.
For more information, contact the church office (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also speak with one of these membership team representatives:
- Paul Briggs, Elder
- Tom Humphrey, Elder
- Grant Gudeman, Deacon
- Brent Gutwein, Deacon